Dear Rotarians and friends
The monthly Club’s board meeting was last Monday. Many of you have served on that Board and understand the time and commitment involved, and reflects “service above self”.
The key items at this Board meeting included:
- A discussion regarding the club’s compliance with having members hold Working with Children cards if working on project with children, and “volunteer declarations” for those hosting Exchange Students. The regulations in this area are now quite onerous and our club has been ably led in this matter by our Club Protection Officer PDG John Davis.
- Fund raising. Ron Hunt and his committee have a range of fund raising activities planned. Tickets for the Christmas Raffle have been printed and will be distributed to members shortly. A Golf Day on Monday 20th April 2015 has been arranged at Medway Golf Club.
- The Ethiopian Dental project was once again discussed. There is support by the Board and Jamah Farah indicated the level of support from the Ethiopian Community that will assist planning a grant application to Foundation.
- Maria Silber reported that Victoria University has identified Brianna Stevenson, from Ascot Vale, as a suitable candidate to attend RYLAH. She is actively involved in student programs including being President of the VU Youth Work Student Association. It has been suggested that Rotary could become part of the VU Leadership Award Presentation and present RYLA at this function. Rotary would be represented at this function and increase the visibility and presence of our club in the local community.
- Hosting a District Alumni Function on Saturday February the 21st 2015. Ejanul Haque has taken on Chairing this group and asked the club to host this gathering. There was strong support. This occasion will also mark the 110th Anniversary of Rotary International. Planning of this evening has begun.
After much planning, the Rotary Club of Footscray in association with Western Health Foundation, will host a dinner this Thursday during the Western Health Research Week. This is a new venture and maybe can become a regular event. The funds raised are in aid of our “Diabetes Support Project”.